Article first published as West Relinquishes Mubarak! on Blogcritics.
Mubarak, who ruled Egypt for 30 years with full backing from all western countries from the US to the EU, appears losing confidence of his western mentors. The clashes, which erupted on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning, have brought in the US and the European Union in support of the agitating anti-government demonstrators. The western states have condemned the violence forced by the pro-government demonstrators prompting Egyptian Prime Minister to offer apology on behalf of the government. The Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq has apologized for stone pelting and gun shots on peaceful demonstrators pledging to investigate the “fatal error.”
The protests that have been peaceful for Nine days in Cairo and Alexandria, have turned violent as thousands of pro-government protesters stepped in throwing stones on anti-government protesters on Wednesday evening. Anti-government protesters have also begun stone pelting and chasing them from the Tahrir Square in a bid to retain the control of the square that has been the main rallying point of the protesters. Meanwhile Muslim Brotherhood and ElBaradei faction denied sitting for talks saying Mubarak’s resignation is the only solution.
The US expressed shock over clashes and the leaders of France, Germany, Britain, Italy and Spain released a joint statement condemning the violence and declaring that the peaceful political transition should immediately be started. Hosni Mubarak could remain in power for 30 years only with the political, economic and military support of the western countries lead by the US.
Article first published as Egypt Protesters Do Not Relent for Election Promise on Blogcritics.
Though Mr Mubarak promised not to contest in coming elections in September, hundreds of thousands of protesting Egyptians do not agree to end their protests demanding him to step down immediately. Mr ElBaradei dismissed Mubarak’s announcement as a trick to continue in power. Western news agencies are writing that some sections of the people are accepting Mubarak’s announcement as a reliable stable solution as sudden change “could lead to more drastic consequences.”
Apart from the pressure from Egyptians, leaders of the countries are also suggesting indirectly Mubarak to step down. Turkey’s PM Erdogan advised Mr Mubarak should take a "different step", US President Barack Obama said transition must begin now in an orderly fashion. Egypt’s army, which had been telling that it would not use force against protesters issued a statement on February 2 asking demonstrators to return to their homes. It said demonstrators succeeded conveying their message and they should now allow life in the country return to normalcy.
It is stated that the government restored internet connection that was cut for days for fear of spreading antigovernment sentiments across the country through social network websites like Facebook and Twitter. Nationwide curfew is also said to be eased reducing it to a lesser time period. According to UN estimates, at least 300 people have died in Egypt alone since the demonstrations began there ten days back.
Egyptian authorities are expecting further protests following two days of unrest that left at least four people dead. The government declared protests were illegal and began crackdown arresting more than 1000 people. The protesters are still on the streets on Wednesday night, BBC News reported. Though the protesters appear minority of the population at present, more people are likely to join them in coming days.
The government is not in a position to provide any answer to the protesting masses. The only response from the government so far is cracking down on demonstrators and raising security. The opposition leader who had been the head of IAEA till recently is supporting the protests and announced he was going to join protests soon. He said that many Egyptians would no longer tolerate Mr Mubarak’s government even for a transitional period, adding that the suggestion that authoritarian Arab leaders like him were the only bulwark against Islamic extremism was "obviously bogus". He suggested Egypt needs a modern and moderate government.
The unrest began on Tuesday in what anti-government activists called a "day of revolt", inspired by the uprising in Tunisia which ousted President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali. On Wednesday, they staged fresh demonstrations in central Cairo, despite official warnings that anyone taking to the streets would be prosecuted.
BBC News | Friday, 25 June 2010 | 14:48 GMT
Several thousand demonstrators have taken to the streets of the Egyptian city of Alexandria to protest against alleged police brutality. They were led by the former UN nuclear chief, Mohamed ElBaradei, now a campaigner for reform in his homeland. It is the latest in a series of protests sparked by the death earlier this month of 28-year-old Khaled Said. Witnesses say police beat him to death on an Alexandria street. Officials say he suffocated after swallowing drugs. Pictures of his injured face have appeared on social networking websites, sparking condemnation from human rights groups.
Out in force
The protest happened after Friday prayers in the northern port city of Alexandria. Witnesses put the crowd at anything from 2,000 to 5,000 people – making it one of the biggest opposition demonstrations since Mr ElBaradei became involved in the movement – says the BBC’s Jon Leyne in Cairo. It is also the first time he has joined a protest himself, our correspondent says.